Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Great Purge

Yesterday Bruno and I spent had a whole day to ourselves. Originally, we were supposed to be in New York for my cousin's daughter's christening. Unfortunately, the christening time changed and the only way we could have made it in time is if we left our house by 4am. So we had the whole day to ourselves... but how quickly that changes.

About mid-week I get an email from my softball teammate, asking if I could sub in their make-up game on Saturday afternoon.

"Sure. I have the day free."

Wrong answer. He then asks, since I have the day free, if I could play in a morning/afternoon tournament with him as well. Sure, why not. But there went my free day.

However Friday I get an email from him and the tournament has been cancelled. Sweet. Now I'm free until the evening.

So Saturday comes, and I start the day trying to catch up on the softball games I have been recording since Thursday (the college world series in going on right now. I'm actually watching the 2nd game from Saturday right now, with about 7 more games to catch up on!) So after about 4 hours of watching softball and cleaning the living room, I decide it's time to tackle our guest room. For the past 3 months, since we've moved in, the guest room has been a disaster area, full of junk we just had nowhere to put. Well today was the day to conquer and envelop ourselves into The Great Purge.

We worked on that room for almost 3 hours, ending up throwing away about 8 bags of trash and junk. It was crazy! And believe me, it was not easy. I hate throwing things out, and I hated it this time. But I had to be realistic and think about how much I actually use some of this stuff. I think the hardest thing to pitch, and I still slightly regret doing it, was my Wild Diva shoes that I got in LA 2 years ago. For those of you that know my MySpace name, well that's what it's from. Bruno even told me, that since I was getting rid of the shoes, that I would have to now change my MySpace name. Well let's not get crazy here.

So that was our big purge. My evening softball games ended up being cancelled, due to the crazy rainstorms we had that afternoon. Bruno and I worked on that room until about 8pm, when we got showered and headed out to Fairfax.

The room already looks 5,000x better. Do you ever just sit and admire the work you've just done to make something look spectacular? Yeah, I just keep going into that room and staring in awe. Granted, it still has a while to go, but it's just so much better now. Nice teamwork!

No comments: