Monday, July 13, 2009

New Respect

I have a new respect for slow pitch catchers. Yesterday, I played on my friend's team in Manassas because they were short girls. Being a sub, I rotated between outfield, bench and catcher. I have never played catcher in slowpitch, and haven't played catcher since 6th grade. And let me tell you, that position is hard! I mean, I have ALWAYS underestimated this position. First of all, you have to constantly change position behind the batter because I for one was scared to get smakced in the head by the bat. Secondly, that ball takes weird hops when it hits the ground and it's hard to stop all of them. But the third, and worst part of the position - the squatting! Holy Quads Batman. I didn't even play catcher the entire game(s) but MAN are my quads sore! I mean wow. I was having some troubles going down the excalator today. I knew my legs were getting a workout, but I really didn't expect this. So catchers, I commend you. You must have legs of steel.

In regards to playing yesterday, this league by far had the weirdest rules. The team is only required to play 2 girls = SUPER LAME! I mean seriously, do you have no respect for the ability of the women? This rule is RIDICULOUS and just really bugs the crap out of me. It's hard enough dealing with the stupid "girl walk rule" but 2 girls?? I mean, why have any girls at all? I am one girl who HATES walking after the guy does. My Monday night team NEVER lets that happen, even if we are losing. We come to play, not get walked. My Thursday night team, well, I think they only want you to walk if we're losing or the game is close. Still not a fan of that. Honestly, this is Rec league people. It's not our careers. I want to hit. So yesterday, I was almost in the position of having to walk. Being a newbie on the team (and previously striking out) the "coach" urged me to take the walk instead of hit. I, of course, glared in his direction and forcefully put my bat down. He says, "Everyone has to walk. It's not a big deal." well it's a big deal to me! I WANT TO HIT. That's why I have been playing softball for the past 18 years. If I get walked, then fine. But I will NEVER be happy about walking without even getting in the batter's box. Seriously... it's just a game! And you know what happened? I couldn't walk because there was only 1 out. So I got a basehit instead. Yeah.

But the WORST rule in this league... the safety base. "What is that?" you may ask. Yeah, exactly. There is this random temporary base a few feet off of homeplate. So it eliminates any possible collision. How it works is that is a play is coming home, the runner has to tag the safety base before the catcher tags homeplate. This rule is STUPID. It eliminates any close plays and excitement at home. Sure, it eleiminates possible collisions. I understand in a sense because our catcher got clobbered at homeplate and had to have knee surgery. But that doesn't happen often. Most players slide or hold up when there may be contact. It's a completely ridiculous rule... and I got called out on it. If the runner goes to homeplate instead of the safety bag, then the runner is out. So I, who had not been told of this at the beginning of the game, naturally tagged homeplate instead of this stupid safety base and I was called out. I was pissed. The ump later told me that they usually only use the safety bag in the 65+ leagues. Right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I do have to admit that sometimes I dont mind walking, depending on how I have been hitting throughout the game. Sometimes i've hit and gotten out and wished I would have just taken the walk and see what the guy behind me did (put the pressure on him-HAHA) but it depends on the situation and it is annoying if people take it to the extreme-like you said it's all for fun. Believe me, I know about the quads hurting after catching. You should see me trying to walk aroudn the office or even just get out of bed. but maybe that is also because I'm now 30 and officially old. Oh and stupid about the saftey bag-good job for your "team" not telling you about that. Kind of an important thing to know about.