Monday, November 8, 2010

Foodie Monday

Sorry for the 30 Day Challenge interruption. I’ve been tagged by Deviled Megs and I feel that I must respond…

What is your favorite dessert?
Hmm… well I’m honestly not much of a dessert person. If I’m out to dinner, then usually. And most of the time for holiday/special occasion dinners. But on a normal, everyday sort of thing, no. I think maybe because I’ve filled up to much on the dinner food, who knows. So when I do have dessert… I would have to say my favorite is this Sweet Mascarpone with Strawberry puree that I get at my parents’ favorite restaurant – Carmello’s. It is amazingly delicious and our waitress (yes, we get the same one every time because her and my mom are friends) always makes sure one is saved for us when we come to eat.



A side dessert note – I think the BEST dessert I ever had was when I was in London for work a few years ago. I had a warm strawberry and rhubarb cobbler, served with my own small pitcher of warm custard. Oh my goodness if you have ever had the warm custard in London (or thereabouts) that I am referring to, you know it is so good that you don’t even really need the cobbler for it. But I didn’t want to be super fatty and just drink the thing down. Yum!!

Ever try to cook something and fail miserably?
Well I’ll have to say it was the 2nd time I tried to make Bruno’s favorite dessert – Brigadeiros. It’s a Brasilian treat of yumminess made from condensed milk, butter and cocoa. To make it, you mix all the ingredients over heat, constantly stirring, for about 30-40 minutes. Once the mixture is “good” you let it cool and eventually roll the mixture into small balls. You then coat the balls in cocoa or sprinkles and enjoy!



The tricky part is getting the timing right on how long you cook the mixture. What happened the first time is that I didn’t cook it long enough and the treats were super gooey, but still edible. Why I failed the 2nd time is because I cooked the mixture too long and by the time it had cooled to form into balls, it was as solid as a rock. Obviously completely inedible. But I didn’t give up and by the 3rd time, I had accomplished the treat. And Bruno loved it!

Is there a dish you haven’t made yet that you would like to?
After seeing Julie and Julia I was set on making the famous Beef Bourguignon that poor Julie slaved over in the movie. The fact that it was such an intense process that turns out to be a food masterpiece is a challenge I hope to embark on some day. When I have nothing else to do. For days on end.



What is your favorite food?
Pasta. Mmmm pasta. But to be exact, I would have to go with my mom’s homemade cavatelli. She calls it gnochhi, but technically, it’s not. But boy is it delicious!!! It is a Thanksgiving tradition to have cavatelli before our turkey feast, one that I neglected to inform Bruno about the first time he came over for Thanksgiving. “I guess they just eat pasta – no turkey here!” So of course he filled his stomach on pasta and groaned when the actual traditional Thanksgiving meal came out. Luckily, my aunt gave me my own cavatelli machine a few years ago and I have been able to make it myself. It tastes good, but never as good as my mom’s!




What is your least favorite food?

PEAS!!!!! Peas Peas Peas are gross gross gross. I’m sorry for all of those people that love them… I just can’t stand them! Through deductive reasoning we determined that my hatred for peas started when I was about 3 years old. I have just finished a big plate of them when my uncle decided to twirl me around. I was having a grand old time… until I projectile vomited on the living room wall. Peas and I were not friends after that.




Do you have any seasonal meals that you like?

I will have to follow Deviled Megs on this one with crabs. I really love them, and I love going to crab feasts. Sure, it’s a lot of work. But all you need to do is pile up the meat and eat it at the end and it’s a delicious treasure. My softball team holds a crab feast every year, and we even snacked on crabs for my friend’s birthday this past September. Eating crabs not only tastes yummy, but brings fond memories of being with friends. I like those.



What is your comfort food?
See “What is your favorite food.” I also “go-to” the Trader Joe’s French Onion Soup. Yum.




Chocolate: milk, dark or white?

Well, I tend towards the dark, but I mostly eat milk chocolate because it’s more readily available. White… eh… only if I’m desparate.

No comments: