Tuesday, October 26, 2010

30 Days About Me: Day 8

Day 08 — A photo that makes you angry/sad

Well initially I wasn’t sure if I would find a picture to go with this because I couldn’t think of a picture that would make me feel angry or sad. I guess most of the pictures I remember are of happy memories… but then this one came to mind.



It makes me more sad than angry, but the 2 feelings are definitely there. My friends and I drove to Blacksburg the Saturday after the shooting in 2007. It was a spur of the moment trip, obviously. But 5 of us hopped in my parents’ van and drove directly to campus. The drillfield was filled with people, students who were still in school, alumni, family, friends. Just a lot of people.

I didn’t really know many people who were still at Tech when the shooting occurred since I had graduated long before it happened. But I found my friend who was in Vet school and though I knew she was ok, though I knew she wasn’t anywhere near Norris Hall when it happened, I immediately burst into tears when I saw her. I think it was more of a relief and some of a “Wow, this really did happen.” Up until we actually visited the campus, the whole event was still surreal.

This photo is of Norris Hall. I still can’t drive by it without my heart dropping…

No comments: