Monday, January 12, 2009

Like Riding a Bike

Yesterday I got up at 6am to go on my first snowboarding run of the season. Yes, it's January and it's only my first run. With our busy schedule, and the way too warm weather, this was the first chance I got. Unfortunately Bruno couldn't go with me, since he got his wisdom teeth out on Friday. Poor guy has been eating mashed potatoes and ice cream all weekend.

Anyhow, so Steve picks me up at 630am, so we can get to Whitetail when it opens to beat the crowds and get the good snow. Yeah, I was tired but it was definitely worth it. By noon, when I would have normally gotten there, the lines were long and the snow was pushed all around.

Needless to say, I was really nervous when I got to the slopes. I hadn't been boarding in almost a year and I wasn't sure how it would go. But it was nothing... well not nothing, but I did really well. I took the first green really slow, just to get used to the balancing and everything again, but it was really no problem. After a few runs, I moved to the blues with the group, and eventually the left bowl with the black diamonds!

When I found out it was only black diamonds on the left bowl, I was so nervous. But hey, I might as well try it out. And then wouldn't you know, I did really well. I don't know if it was my experience in Vail last year or what, but I did great on the slope, only falling like 2x, and they weren't even hard falls. It was more of a lack of concentration that caused me to fall, not skill. I started psyching myslef out about being on a black diamond... but then I pushed that aside and on I went.

I was really pleased with the day and I'm really not as sore as I thought I would be. Hopefully I'll get to go again before our trip to Wisp in February, but we'll see. Nice.

No comments: