Saturday, October 16, 2010

30 Days About Me: Day 4

Day 04 – Your favorite book
This was a very easy one, and I figure it’s because I don’t read that much.

Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card

No, it’s not the Lost Boys everyone thinks about, that I think they made a movie of. This is a science fiction novel about a Mormon family in North Carolina. Writing that out, it sounds like a pretty odd book. Science Fiction about a Mormon family? But trust me, it’s amazing.

I first read this book in high school, I think to fulfill a reading requirement. I came across the book randomly and decided it looked good. I’ve decided that most of the books I like have children or teenagers as the main character and this book was no different. But when I took this book, I had no idea how much I would love it. I remember reading it and being so enthralled in the story, staying up late to finish it and expressing all emotions as I read through it – happiness, fear and I definitely cried.

And I still do. This is the book I’ll pick up every so often when I need a book to read (mostly at the beach) and I still breeze through it and love it just as much. I told my friend about the book, and she mentioned that Orson Scott Card had a well-known book called Ender’s Game that SHE loved, so we traded. I did enjoy Ender’s Game a lot (a child is the main character, again), though it was way more sci-fi then Lost Boys. I think the only reason my book is classified as sci-fi is because of the author. Apparently all of his other books are very sc-fi. Either way, HIGHLY recommended.

Side note, although Lost Boys is my favorite book, my favorite author is Augusten Burroughs. I have read all his books (ok not his latest one yet) and I really really enjoy them.

Close 2nd

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg (I was SO pumped when this book became a movie)

No comments: