Tuesday, October 19, 2010

30 Days About Me: Day 6

Day 06 — Whatever tickles your fancy

A few weeks, er, probably months by now, my friend left the States to embark on a 2-year adventure in Egypt. She was offered an opportunity to teach over there and decided, “Hey, why not?” So for her friends that miss her dearly, she started her own blog to keep us up to date with the happenings in that far off land.

I of course, started to follow her blog. And by follow, I mean click the little button that says, “Follow this blog.” Pretty simple. So she in turn gets a notification that a certain Blythepoo is following her blog.

“Is this you?” she asks. “The profile seems to say that it is, but I’m not sure.”

“Yep, it’s me.”

I am Blythepoo. So where does this name come from? Well, quite a random story actually…

A few years ago I was shopping in Carytown, (Richmond) and wandered into one of my favorite stores, World of Mirth. Perusing the shelves I came across a small rectangular book that caught my eye, This is Blythe. Who was this Blythe? I had to know!

Turns out, Blythe is a doll, much like Barbie, but with a big head and booming in the Asian culture. Seriously. My mom’s friend went to Hong Kong and brought one back for me – he said it was a madhouse in the toy store for this thing. But what is there to really love about Blythe, because a big head and fun clothes just aren’t going to cut it. Gina Garan, author of This is Blythe and a few other books in the series, uses her time to pose Blythe in various scenes, wither various clothes, and take pictures of her. Yep, she models Blythe and photographs her. It sounds creepy, and most people think it is, but it is also hilarious. The scenarios she photographs Blythe in are so random and funny – it’s great.

So I became slightly obsessed with Blythe shortly after discovering her (again, another trend with the obsessions) and spent my time buying all sorts of things associated with Blythe off of Ebay. It was awesome. Naturally, when I needed a blogger name, I went with Blythepoo. The “poo” at the end roots all the way back to high school, but was definitely appropriate in this case.

No comments: